Truck and trailer insurance. It’s a doozy, but something we get asked about all the time so let’s talk about the coverages we made sure we had before we started RV living.

We’re not insurance agents and have no business offering advice in the insurance world because it’s literally a labyrinth with 9,234 loopholes.

So rather than telling you what YOU should get, I’ll just tell you what we have. We use Progressive Insurance for our truck and trailer and here’s the coverage we have…

πŸ›» Truck Insurance

This insurance is pretty standard. We have the required coverage for MI in all categories, plus Roadside Assistance, Rental Reimbursement, and Lease Payoff. We also have Unlimited Personal Injury Protection Medical Expense. We pay $138.61/mo.

🚎  Trailer Insurance

I know that’s a trolley, but they don’t have an RV emoji πŸ™„Β  We’ll discuss coverage we have on our rig in detail below. This is where it’s important to have the right coverage.

Insuring your truck and trailer when you live in your RV is different than insuring it as a recreational vehicle. Consider it a blend of home owner’s insurance and vehicle insurance.

Here are 5 key coverage areas we have as full-time RVers who live in our travel trailer.

Flo from Progressive kicking and punching for truck and trailer insurance

1) “Full Timer’s Personal Liability” TRAILER insurance

Per Progressive, “Full Timer’s Personal Liability is required if you use your RV as a primary residence […] This policy level coverage includes:

  • Full Timer’s Personal Liability Coverage
  • Medical Payments Coverage
  • Loss Assessment Coverage
  • Storage Shed Contents Coverage.”

Β This is a must if you’re living full-time in your trailer.

2) Total Loss Replacement/Purchase Price coverage

This means if our trailer were totally destroyed, our insurance would buy us a new version of our exact trailer (if our trailer is less than 4 years old). For an RV 5+ model years old, they’ll pay the Purchase Price that’s on the declarations page.

3) Emergency Expense Coverage

This is included for us because we have Total Loss Replacement. So as a full-time RVer, if our trailer is damaged due to a covered loss, the insurance will pay for “reasonable temporary living facilities” up to $750. (We could select up to $7,500 if we wanted.)

This coverage allows us to stay at a hotel or rent a house or condo while our truck and trailer are being repaired or replaced. If you’ve just lost your home, the last you want to do is figure out how to pay for your day-to-day living while sorting out all the details.

4) Replacement Cost Personal Effects

We have Replacement Cost Personal Effects (up to $7,000 with a $100 deductible) which is left purposefully murky with definitions like “RV contents that are normally used in conjunction with the RV” or “certain items outside the RV”. Those terms sound like an elusive nightmare to nail down in a claim, but whatever. We have it and, like most insurance, hope we never have to use it.

5) Roadside Assistance

We have Roadside Assistance coverage for our trailer as well as our truck – so no matter what vehicle is down, we’re covered to have someone come out and help.

Ok that’s about as much insurance as any reasonable person can handle in one sitting.

Remember, insurance is a personal decision so you’ll need to talk to the qualified humans who do this for a living. But hopefully, this rundown was helpful as a starting point as you approach full-time RV living!

Just a quick recap – 5 helpful coverages for full-time RVers:

  1. Full Timer’s Personal Liability

  2. Total Loss Replacement/Purchase Price Coverage

  3. Emergency Expense Coverage

  4. Replacement Cost Personal Effects

  5. Roadside Assistance

Ok, class is dismissed.

For other important tips before you get started, check out 5 Important Tips for New RVers.